A few days ago when I was looking for something to sew I decided I'd better get to work on my tree skirt. I cut out the red strips and planned it all out last year. So all I had to do was figure out how to make it (or remember how I had decided to make it) and sew it all up! The most difficult part was cutting those large angles correctly. I had to do that a few times. I used an IKEA sheet as suggested by Amanda. It is so much cheaper than muslin and nicer too. Here it is all washed and crinkled. The binding is disco dots by Michael Miller.
I love it! It goes perfectly with my stocking which are also red and white with black and white binding.