7.12.2013

Virtual Quilting Bee: Block #10 Tutorial

Hi all - and thanks for stopping by! If you're new to my blog feel free to look around. And if you haven't already seen the great blocks so far in the virtual quilting bee (hosted by Amy of Diary of a Quilter) you can go see them all here.


My block is called Mother's Dream and is from the book The Farmer's Wife. I believe the dimensions for the Farmer's Wife blocks are smaller and possibly put together using templates. I think this block also would be a good candidate for foundation paper piecing. But I wanted to write a tutorial that could just be cut and put together without a foundation. So some of the dimensions are a bit odd, just because it's on the diagonal.


1. Cut 2 squares 3 3/4 inches from background fabric.
2. Cut 2 squares 2 7/8 inches from background fabric.


3. Cut all 4 squares in half on the diagonal. This will give you 8 half square triangles - 4 large and 4 small.


4. Cut 1 square 3 1/4 inches. This is your center square.


5. Cut 4 rectangles 3 1/4 x 1 7/8 from fabric A.
6. Cut 4 rectanges 3 1/4 x 1 7/8 from fabric B.


Here is the block layout. You'll sew the block in strips, press, and then sew the strips together.


7. To sew the center triangles onto the rectangles, match up the sides as shown and leave the corner hanging over as shown.

8. Once you have the rows sewn together, sew the strips together and press to make the block.


And you're done! This block finishes at 8 1/2 inches (8 inches finished).

6 comments:

  1. You are right! Farmer's Wife Blocks are 6 inches square, and are created with templates. I'm working on a FW quilt and finally getting close to the finish line with it. This block will make a cute addition to the Virtual Bee blocks, and I'm looking forward to putting it together. I love the opportunity to use so many prints in one block. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your work in putting this tutorial together for the Virtual Quilting Bee. I'm a newbie, and am enjoying checking out all the blogs while picking up so many lessons on the art of design. I really like this "Farmer's Wife" block and think it will be fun to assemble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this block. Great color choices. Thanks for the tutorial. I'm just catching up, loving the happy go lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this block. Great color choices. Thanks for the tutorial. I'm just catching up, loving the happy go lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm catching up! I have my "catch-up blocks cut and ready for assembling. Now, I'm waiting for my sweet sewing machine to be serviced. You know, after hours of assembling projects, machines need some TLC. Nothing really wrong, just want to keep her humming! By Tuesday, I hope to assemble the blocks and maybe by Friday, I'll catch up to "the Sassy Quilter" on block #10. I might even be able to post some photos!
    Thanks again for all the work in this Bee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a pretty block!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete